FUEL TANK: PLANNING PROCESS

P A R T  O N E:  G R O U P   F O R M A T I O N

LADIES LET'S GET IN FORMATION

We're not as cool as Beyonce but we did manage to get a group together.

Amazing. So cool. Very sophisticated. 
The members of the team consisted of the following:
  • Benjamin Le (Industrial Design)
  • Jeremy Hizkia (Industrial Design)
  • Jin Son (Industrial Design) 
  • Kelvin Ip (Architecture)
  • Lornia Shi (Industrial Design)
  • Natalia Dou (Interior Architecture) 
  • Tauqir Ullah (Industrial Design)
  • Zeran Wang (Industrial Design)
  • Zoey Song (Architecture

From there we decided we would do the custom fuel tank (by Andrew Wallace) for several reasons:
  • Utilise the Rhino skills of our members
  • We had done a similar exercise in Industrial design where we took photos of certain products to create an online drawing and it was a personal nightmare and I absolutely refuse to do that again unless necessary. 
  • It seemed more convenient
  • Had a good multiplier (let's be honest here I'm a uni student I want good marks)
ahh the cute little cafe racer from hell

We also then organised our first meeting time. Yay adulting!

M E E T I N G   O N E:  H O U S E K E E P I N G


We managed to get 6 out of the 9 of us at the first meeting.
In this meeting we went through some general "house keeping" stuff. Laying out the foundation for how the assignment should progress and the general timeline of things.

Week 9: Complete template
Week 10: Metal forming
Week 11: Metal forming
Week 12: Due

At the time of the first meeting, I hadn't understood the assignment properly. I had misinterpreted the reason for the laser cut slicer model. The intended use for the laser cut model was to help divide the model up into three sections and then use the model for pattern making.

Instead, I thought that the model would be covered in masking tape and then used as a template/ mold/ dolly to hammer up against. Naturally we all know that thinly sliced sheets of plywood slotted into each other is probably not going to make the best dolly/ template to have 9 people hammering metal against it for metal forming, so we had other methods planned.

So essentially this was the proposed plan to be done for the next week. This is a screen shot of the meeting minutes



In the meeting, we talked about two separate methods to create a dolly to hammer up against. I feel that visual aid would be helpful for clarification so below is an explanation of what I meant.

Method 1: Layered CNC

Due to the fact that the CNC machine would not be able to CNC out the model in one go,  the proposed idea is to do it in layers and then glue them together 
Example CNC

Method 2: Layered Hand forming

Imagine baking layers of a sponge cake and then sculpting. 


I had hoped that someone would be able to open the Rhino file and save it as an .stl file and send it to Jeremy to 3D print and send to me to figure out how to CNC. Whilst some other more Rhino-proficient members of the team would be able to import the Rhino file into Slicer.

Reflection: Communication between any more than 3 people is really difficult. Trying to explain things without visual aid is really hard when other people don't use the same terms to describe certain things. It probably didn't help that I didn't understand the point of the slicer-made laser cut model. I think ultimately, we got there and it's all fine and good.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FUEL TANK: THE MAKING OF

The Tray Process