The Blister Process
If you wanted a plate specifically for your avocado, then stay tuned...
So I already had experience using a CNC machine from my job, so the theory of using a CNC to cut out was something I was familiar with.
P A R T O N E: S E T U P
But seriously, I polished the blister and left the sides as is. In my opinion, there was a combination of factors which made this the easiest section in the overall assignment for me. It was a combination of skills gathered from previous metal shaping techniques, it was securely fastened to the die that was going to form the shape, as well the fact that it was rather organic and there was no radius to adhere to.
So I already had experience using a CNC machine from my job, so the theory of using a CNC to cut out was something I was familiar with.
P A R T O N E: S E T U P
(Ok so obviously I cut the metal to the appropriate size first using the guillotine but I neglected to photograph that)
I realised I probably could have used the hand drill for this instead of the press drill so that was a bit of overkill but it's fun and definitely more precise.
Once I got everything screwed into place, this was my set up and it was time to get started hammering in my avocado blister
P A R T T W O: H A M M E R I N G
Because my cnc cut part wasn't too skinny, I was able to directly hammer into the piece to start. I tried to go in between using both sides of the nylon mallet gently hammering it in so I wouldn't accidentally crack the blister as so many people seemed to have done.
P A R T T W O: C O R K I N G T O O L S
Once I got the general shape going, I started going in around the edges to get that nice crisp edge. I also used a smaller wooden mallet as a die. Similarly, I used a CNCed cut out piece to really get into the upper corner of the blister tear shape.
I moved my corking tool along and all over the piece as I was hammering it in. That way it would lessen the amount of random dents and would be smoother overall.

I took the metal piece out and took a good look at it, then got a sharpie and marked out- in my own weird little coding system- all the places that needed to be fixed (Nothing a little acetone couldn't remove)

I took the metal piece out and took a good look at it, then got a sharpie and marked out- in my own weird little coding system- all the places that needed to be fixed (Nothing a little acetone couldn't remove)
P A R T T H R E E: F I N I S H I N G
TA-DA flip it over and you got a plate for your avocado like I said.
But seriously, I polished the blister and left the sides as is. In my opinion, there was a combination of factors which made this the easiest section in the overall assignment for me. It was a combination of skills gathered from previous metal shaping techniques, it was securely fastened to the die that was going to form the shape, as well the fact that it was rather organic and there was no radius to adhere to.










Comments
Post a Comment